Tuesday, January 30, 2007

SAARANG...

So yet another uneventful Saarang passes by - the usual suspects thulping maajarly , some new talented freshies being discovered, the Peter gumbal from the freshies ready with the informals vol- informals coord- spons/PR coord- PR core, and lazybums like me who have resigned themselves to "Saarang is not for me". Overheard some guy "Macha these quizzes and word games are a pain in the a** da. Anyway we can't win here, let us go to other college fests and crack puts". Totally agree with this. If you haven't understood it yet all this is a euphemism for "I am way below Saarang standards". There is a slight tinge of regret on not being able to participate in other ways like managing something or becoming coords, but by and large I don't even have the enthu to do something like that now (also I am over aged you see) , so in all probability I will be going home next year, if I get placed by then.

Saw the artists for the pro-show and I could think of only one thing, the two golden words of IITM lingo - Pack daa. Thanks to the herd mentality found myself attending Sukhwinder Singh's "unprofessional show". It was horrible,surely the worst in my 4 years. Junta came up with many wisecracks - Suckwinder singh, Dukhwinder singh ( dukh = sad), Thookwinder singh (thook = spit ) and the best Fu**winder singh. Kambakht Ishq was the best of the lot, Ramta jogi, O saki saki rey,Omkara, Bunty aur Babli were ok types. Some memorable quotes -

1) Put the light on the backside please. I want to see the audience.

2) Where you want me to come ( steps down and is with the crowd now). Please give me side.

3)
Calls a female onto the stage . She breaks into an impromptu dance with our hero. Our hero insists " We are only acting. We are brother-sister. We are friend"

4)
This takes the cake. For the last song of the night, which obviously had to be Chayya Chayya our guy says " Now I want small childs to dance with me".

Some other things which enlivened my drooping spirits were the awesome babes and the cricket match. Total eye-candy only, and unlike my previous post I do have good adjectives ;) . The experience at Chepauk was very good. We painted our faces , bought a couple of pee pees (It makes that sound) , bought a flag , band and drowned ourselves in saffron , bearing a striking similarity to RSS/VHP activists. Sachin was practicing near our stand before the start of the match and I just couldn't think of a better start. Saw three of the all time greats - Lara, Sachin and Dravid smash 50's and also saw Sachin in flesh and bones near our stand (Royal Sundaram B stand) and I couldn't ask for more. Lara simply rocked and the field placements sucked. I always maintain that and continue to do so - Dravid's field placing has never been good.There was a huge roar when Sachin was near us and the poor guy was pained because India was losing and the junta there were fully cheering Sachin. An Indian win would have been the icing on the cake. Nevertheless a very gratifying experience.

There are a couple of weddings in Chennai, my Dad and most of my close relatives from Hyd are here. Thanks to a severe bout of cold, cough, sore throat and what not, I haven't been able to attend the Monday one and don't think I will be attending today's either. I was looking forward to attending these , but luck decided otherwise. Surely missed out on a 2nd innings of eye-candy and good food. It's back to classes and the usual routine after a 6 day layoff.


9 comments:

Gads said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Vetty Max said...

Saarang pro-shows used to have atleast one South Indian bugger till my first year, then Saarang got bigger and they started getting all these North Indian ch*^ts to sing, Udit Narayan was also equally worst max.

I only attended pro-shows when I got free tickets, hence for the years when I was in IIMB and at Saarang, I well-lefted the pro-shows. From now on no chance at all.

Shankar said...

agree on "suck"winder singh
rock show and mynta were good. tvoa was a hip hop band... most of junta did not like it ... it was not an indian taste anyway.

Heidi Kris said...

Did i miss something here :P M***I C**** :P

MaySan said...

Nice post....unakku peraasai abt sight adichings :P And what did you do to get the cold? :P And I cant comment abt Saarang, cos I have never been there...but the names of Sukhwinder do sound interesting :P

Serendipity said...

" bought a couple of pee pees (It makes that sound) " not kiddy eh ;)

and eye candy NTPK :P

Sandeep Sundaram said...

Lara simply rocked and the field placements sucked. I always maintain that and continue to do so - Dravid's field placing has never been good....
this prves tht u have very limited knowledge of cricket .[:P]
cant say much abt suckwinder singh who sings witha high picth if i aint x u used 2 b his fan nah [:P]

Dainty Damsel said...

I have my own woes abt Saarang.
I dont know about Suckwinder Sings much either.
Missed seeing you inspite of coming to your college :(

Sanjeev said...

God... u must have done some great punya in ur last janma .. u saw sachin in flesh and blood at close quarters... lucky sucker . thats what u are ..