Wednesday, May 30, 2007

KUMBAKONAM-2

Note : Sorry for the inordinate delay. ( As if you have been waiting eagerly ) I have been too tied up with movies, friends, roaming around etc.

We then proceeded to Mayiladuthurai to visit Parimala Ranganathar ( ThiruIndalur ) . Parimala Ranganathar was simply too amazing. Probably one can spend hours analyzing the Thirumugam , the pot belly , chatur bhujam, Thiruvadi etc. Surely one of the most beautiful idols I have seen so far. He is my new favourite .Infact all Ranganathar idols are awesome. Finally we went to the Saivite shrine of Vaideeshwaran Koil. My paati and mom totally avoid going to Saivite temples. She says if it is unavoidable go there and view Lord SrimanNarayana there. Vaideeshwaran Koil is famous for its healing and medicinal powers. ( Vaidya + eeshwaran ) . My Chitthi gave me a small lump of jaggery which was to be immersed in the Pushkarni. I assumed it was eating stuff and popped it into my mouth . Needless to say my cousins had a hearty laugh at my alacrity. As an aside Raghava Swamy at Thiruvallur , is also known for his curing abilities. Infact he is called Vaidya Veera Raghava Swamy.

Finally we returned totally exhausted at 10 pm and after dinner crashed immediately. The next day my Perimma and her sons came. That day was spent totally at home. All of us were together after 9 years. These guys keep meeting at the drop of a hat, I somehow don't get to go Kumbak regularly. When we all last met 9 years back,about 15 of us, we saw Jeans. The next 2 days were also spent at home and the temples. We got an opportunity of viewing Kodai Abhishekam at the Raamar Koil and a first row seat meant viewing without hassles. Back home there was a mini war among my cousins and myself for the Puliyodharai.The dumbass that I am, I wasted time segregating the molagai pieces while they cashed on the remaining part. A nice lesson learnt - females don't vittukuduthufy when it comes to food. The best part of the stay was my virtuoso Paati's heavenly food. My Perimma left that night and it was our turn to bid a sad adieu. Our bus was at 10 am the next day. The return journey was again a torture. I was in the aisle seat and my cousin in the window. It was a classic and literal case of "out of the frying pan,into the fire" when I swapped places for sometime. I didn't sleep a wink thanks to the heat,a modicum of normal conversation also not possible due to the movie.

We reached Chennai late in the afternoon . We went to Thiruneermalai ( 61), 7 kms from Pallavaram. Once again a very beautiful temple and a standard Kollywood temple scene shooting place. This temple has 4 sannidhis with Perumal in different postures - Ninran (stood) , Irundan (sat) , Kidandhan (slept) and Nadandhan (walked). Ninra Thirukolam is Neervanan , Irundan is Shantha Narasimhar (in the Praharam), Kidandhan is Ranganathar and Nadandhan is Thiru Vikraman. There are some legends associated with Sage Valmiki's penance and his insistence on viewing Lord as Neervanan and hence that form. Another legend is about Thirumangai Azhwar's dedication and pertinacity. There was a great deluge when Thirumangai Azhwar wanted to view Perumal in Thiruneermalai. The place was completely immersed in water.So, Azhwar waited there for some six months and then took Perumal’s darshan and the subsequent Mangalasasanam. It is said that we get the palan of visiting three Divya Kshetrams - Srirangam( Ranganathar), Thirupathi (Neervannan ) and third name has decided not to make it's abode in my brain, as a result of which I cannot recollect it here.

This marked the end of a sublime trip. God's own country was to be ravaged by 12 of us the following week. The pictures worth thousand words will be posted soon. Any attempt to describe the beauty of the place would be blasphemous as it is beyond my descriptional ability , due to which I have decided to resort to the easier way of posting pics, in this process ensuring that my esteemed readers and my blog don't miss out my adventures , thus entrenching a deep sense of satisfaction in me and giving me a chance to spurn any tag of "lazy, thus not blogging" !!!



8 comments:

MaySan said...

Awesome language da! You are a superb blogger ^:)^

I have no fundaes of Tiruneermalai, never been there...inspite of visiting Chennai so many times. The place is also famous for lots of marriages! Thirumangai Azhwar has sung pAsurams on Thiruneermalai, that I know :D

Naren said...

Puliyodharai is nice, if had with molagai :D

I wouldn't believe in any divine curing abilities!

"third name has decided not to make it's abode in my brain"
I think it is Thirukkoviloor

Heidi Kris said...

Good one again :-).

A nice lesson learnt - females don't vittukuduthufy when it comes to food. You bet!! and i second Naren. Puliyodarai gets its special taste only because of the molagai ;)

Serendipity said...

Vaiteshwaran kovil is also famous for itz nadi jyosiam [:D]

Ranjitha Raghu said...

unakku ivvulavu scene aa?
sari nee daan comment comment nnu parakkarai ille....here goes:-
for all u ppl's kind info...the last paragraph was allowed into this blog only on MY consent....
anyway...nice cool blaag da!

Ranjitha Raghu said...

"a modicum of normal conversation also not possible due to the movie."
EXCUSE ME!!! i hear something else here....i hear dat thru' out the journey there was a constant inflow of mockai...ahem...
and the superb language here mayura,
it is all thanks to me!i know my deaie bro will not agree with that but truth is truth....

Labakku Das said...

@Mayura:
Thanks.But superb and all konjam too much

@Naren,Sri:
You mean you eat the molagai! Well,I surely don't believe in a blind mom getting eyesight in a temple in the climax scene of a Bollywood potboiler - if that was what you meant by divine curing abilities :P

@Harini:
Didn't know that :P

@Ranjitha:
I said NORMAL conversation.It meant we had to speak above the normal decibel level. Yeah mokkai max only :P.The language is thanks to you?? Can you explain that?

Serendipity said...

u have been tagged :P