Sunday, February 24, 2008

RESTAURANT REVIEW ( WEEK UPDATE )

The week was good - covered 4 restaurants, 3 being first visit and one a revision. The weekend was particularly good.

Vrindavan, Woodlands , R k Salai , Mylapore - This one is a pure veg multi cuisine restaurant with a very good ambience. The place has many beautiful paintings of Krishna and the different aspects of his life , thus justifying the name. The soup and starters were good. I assume roti/naan cannot be murdered by any one but the side dishes can surely be and that is what happened. We ordered kadai paneer , and thanks to the overdose of capsicum it was almost kadai capsicum. Thankfully the finale was good - veg pulao and raita both were good. I have read / heard that the desserts are also good there, but couldn't check it out. Overall a nice place. A 3-course meal for two should cost around 500.

Breakfast buffet, Savera, Just beside the above hotel - This is a 4 star hotel . The dinner buffet was a total disaster, especially because of the high cost (Close to 400 per head) , had very few items, not so great taste and limited desserts. I am actually kind of saturated with these grand buffets. There is absolutely no enthu at all. However, the breakfast buffet turned out to be really good, the high cost notwithstanding (200 per head) . I suppose the extra psychological satisfaction was due to the absence of any burden on my wallet . Idli, Vada,Pongal,Masala and Plain Dosa, Paratha-pickle-raita, fruit juices, toast, coffee and a plethora of non veg dishes. I did full justice. Ideally go on a weekend around 9-30 am thulp for about 45 min, go home and and crash. You can peacefully skip lunch. It was better than the breakfast buffet at GRT , which I think was the last wing treat last year just before our Kerala trip.

Mathsya , Near Hindi Prachar Sabha, T Nagar - Another good restaurant with a buffet option. We had a lunch buffet , it was not the grand GRT level but a thoroughly satisfying one . The items were limited, tasty and not very costly. ( 150 per head). Strongly recommended. It gets pretty crowded by 1-30 on weekends, so better to go early. I went there on my friend C2's 200 cc red beast - Bajaj Avenger. It scorched the roads on a scorching afternoon. It surely was a head turner, but then I was strongly dissuaded from owning one. Looks like Pulsar it is by July-August.

Cream Center, Near Park Sheraton, R A Puram - A 10 min walk from Park Sheraton , situated amidst greenery, this one was the icing on the cake. One of the best places in Chennai, and of course that comes with a price. It is damn expensive. Continuing the legacy of wing treats (a gang of 8-10 for some job treat), this time I went with the dear old Alak hostel wing guys. We caught the 5C and reached there @ 3 bucks per head. Totally wonderful I say. I get a great sense of accomplishment when I do not use these lousy autos. In fact I am trying my best to avoid it as much as possible. The restaurant is in a house, much like the Mocha joints. The menu was damn impressive - it literally covers all genres, albeit with limited items. It is very similar to New Yorker in my soon to be area Nungambakkam opp Hotel Park, but notches higher. This surely will have a few revisions soon. Very strongly recommended. The only warning-A proper meal for 2 will cost a cool 700 !

Btw, I just realised all the above were treats. Wow ! That aside, I am totally in love with the Alwarpet-R A Puram-Mylapore and surrounding areas. R A Puram has a thick green cover and I would love to take a furnished 2 BHK apartment there. That will cost just about 25-30k per month. A 100% hike in my salary might allow me that, till then let me keep dreaming :)

9 comments:

Serendipity said...

cream centre rocks ... it is toooooooooooo good... esp the sizzling sundae.. loved mocha too..

and ur bike was simply horrible :P no aunty will let u meet her daughter types:P

Gads said...

[i]I get a great sense of accomplishment when I do not use these lousy autos. In fact I am trying my best to avoid it as much as possible.[/i]

Welcome to the club.

Sandeep Sundaram said...

i am least bothered abt the restraunts in Madras ...
u come down 2 Hyd will take u 2 the best of restraunts In hyd ..
Hyd is place 2 have proper fud ..
will take u provided u fud my bill..
i guess u r due[:P]
i some how dont like the fud which is being served in Madras ... neways i gues sthings myt have changed ..... it has been ages isnce i hv been there

Dainty Damsel said...

Indulged in a gastronomic trip,eh? Nice. I have never been to those restuarants you mentioned but yes, made a good review.
Bon appetit.

Anonymous said...

Atleast sumbody's had a productive week :) Not at all the reluctant gourmet I can see :P
Made for an useful read. Cream Centre here I come!

Zeta said...

Wow so many treats lucky you !! ;):p
and good you r not buying such creepy bikes like avenger.If its a pulsar..then jolly good ;)

Vetty Max said...

Haven't been to any of the places you have mentioned, and don't think I will go now that I have left Chennai.

Pack Avenger da, try a proper bike, something Royal Enfield level.

MaySan said...

The bike was good, it didnt probably suit you :P

I want a big treat from you....July beginning la :P This time surely I wont pay, cos you will be earning by then!!!!

Labakku Das said...

@ Harini-
Yes. Your app admit treat will be there wonly.

@Gads-
I should have done this earlier da

@Sandy-
:P

@Vaishnavi, Vinitha-
Thanks

@Mithila-
Atleast 3-4 more treats in the offing :)

@k7-
Enfield is costly da and wont suit me

@Mayura-
If your majesty manages to squeeze in time to meet me in July,I will throw a treat :P