Tuesday, February 12, 2008

SING LIKE NO ONE IS HEARING

I will try a Mani Ratnam type post. So, lights off, minimal dialogues, (x,y,z,t) etc. Unfortunately no first night description (It is seen in almost every movie of his)

1996 , Hyderabad - I was inducted into Carnatic music classes . This was despite my infinite resistance and refusal. I couldn't even bunk because the teacher was just a few metres away and had to go with my sister. I totally despised it. Also, since it was in the evenings 5-7 types I had to miss my daily gully cricket session. It was a total torture. And the teacher's constant praises about my ability to sing high pitched tones , esp to my grandpa made matters worse. I certainly contest those praises and I strongly feel she had ulterior motives - retention strategies. So I had no reason whatsoever to avoid the classes . In hindsight I think I did a decent job, surely not the way she used the retention- strategies-accolades , but fair enough. It went on for a full year. An epic struggle bordering on the lines of 1857-1947 level freedom fight occurred at home and my August 15th was sometime in the beginning of 7th grade in July ,1997.

1996 , 31st Dec - I think Sandeep and I won/ were runners up in some Antakshari competition conducted in the colony.

1999 , Hyderabad- Some arbit singing stuff in classroom where every student had to sing. I think I sang "Woh Pehli baar" from some Dino Morea / Rinkie Khanna campus movie. Praise from teacher again, as usual that was surely because those were the days when we were the oiled hair- notes writing-shiny teeth-goodie goodie children.

2003,Alak hostel,IITM - There was this pain max lit sec who used to sing at the drop of a hat at every hostel function. Function is an overstatement,he used to croon at any place which had more than 5 guys assembled. He had organised Antakshari in the hostel and I teamed up with 2 northie guys. I think we qualified for the inter hostel finals but some senior funda thing and we were not able to participate in the finals.

2008, Pongal, Hyderabad - I met the aforesaid paatu teacher after eons. The usual oh-my-god-so thin-so dark level reaction aside , she asked me if I had any enthu in music. She lamented about how she lost a super student with great voice , grasping blah blah. In reality the grief was out of the 100 per month *12 rupees she lost since 97 , consider inflation and make it 250*12 in 2006 , assuming I would have continued for 10 years like my sis. One other reason why I presumed she showered encomiums then was that she found a potential son-in-law in me. I have to admit though that her daughter is a perfect Tam beauty. Tall, fair, very beautiful, sings well, studies well etc. Ok, tall is not a desired credential in my case and I had to strike off a potential candidate from my list when she came home recently as I found her a full 1 inch taller. Really sad ! Anyways as an elderly advice she told me to restart singing, which for a change I feel was genuine and devoid of monetary undercurrents as she knew there was no way I could go to her. Atleast try singing filmi stuff , she said. Yeah, as if A R Rahman is waiting for me.

2008 , Saarang ,LM pro show, IITM - I totally fell in love with Karthik , the voice behind "Girlfriend"in Boys, "Oru Malai" in Ghajini, "Unnale unnale" and many hit numbers in Run,New (nani in telugu) etc. I rushed to my room, checked Wiki and downloaded almost all of his songs.

So this is the background. My mom and sis are huge music rasikas. Inadvertently I have some knowledge of carnatic music, singers, marriage songs etc. Advertently have always had a huge passion for desi filmi music though it was never apparent. I am a total devotee of A R rahman (a) , huge huge fan of Harris Jeyaraj (b) , Karthik, Sonu Nigam, Unnikrishnan, SPB, Hariharan (c) Harini,Shreya Goshal, Aruna sairam (d) and any song involving a-c-d or b-c-d combo. Tam-Gult-Hindi music blares 24*7 from my system , though these days it is strictly Tamil. I actually,really think I am a good bathroom singer and repenting now for having fought for my August 15th then ( and of course missing ogling at the then shorter than me beauty) . Music is a great hobby and de-stresser and singing some Rahman song at some public place with >=50 members now figures in my things-to-do-before-i-die.

I now seriously want to learn music and sing, but strictly no Carnatic stuff. I have infinite free time now. Any suggestions ? For starters, I am practicing Unnale Unnale with lyrics and might soon inflict torture on you guys by posting it here :)

7 comments:

lazyblogger said...

keka ! mama..thanks for the warning. i shall have my ear-gear ready :P
jokes apart, you do have a talent for crooning filmi numbers. so i guess you should continue what you r doing - the torture part. goodluck.
And may i have the TTB(Tall Tam Beauty)'s number please.

Sandeep Sundaram said...


I think Sandeep and I won/ were runners up in some Antakshari competition conducted in the colony.

I guess the credit shld go 2 me fr tht prize .. u wer very lucky 2 have me as ur Antakshari Partner ..
i sang all the songs u were a mere spectator...[:P]


I totally despised it. Also, since it was in the evenings 5-7 types I had to miss my daily gully cricket session. It was a total torture.

i know u used 2 crib abt it .. more thn ne one i missed u in tht ground coz u wer one who offered me jujubi balls which i pelted all round the park

Dunno i 2 feel this days i am blessed with a grt voice ... i evn started riyazing [:P].. though in my bathroom but chalega :P

Sri said...

for starters start with 'I AM AN ASSHOLE'..
he sings it in a really high pitched voice...

Serendipity said...

Damn uy didnt u say this before :P would have made u sing a nice carnartic song during meets :P

MaySan said...

Aversion to the traditional carnatic stuff happens, in that age.....first be a good bathroom singer da, then move on to better stuff :P

kiran said...

may i ask.. is it that the TTB asking you to sing that motivated u?

anyways i feel ur voice wud def suit "mass tho pettukunte" :P

anyways since you don't figure in that prospective to be in laws list..put her contact no .. we will try our luck

Labakku Das said...

@Vicky
Thanks.Even I do not know the no da. Should ask my sis maybe :P

@ Sandy
All lies :P

@ Alfa
Aa song scope ey ledu . hehe

@ Harini
I cant sing carnatic stuff :)

@ Mayura
Yes prac going on :D

@ Gutta
I never said TTB motivated me!Surely will try that song dude. emember SOM exam midnight :P Reg TTB same reply as Vicky