Monday, September 12, 2005

OBSOLETE BLACKBOARD

Firstly let me clarify a few things before i go about cribbing in what is one of the few meaningful posts by yours truly.I am not the typical first bencher in class with a never ending urge to park himslef right under the nose of the teacher and I dont listen to most of the classes.I pay attention only to certain professors,few classes etc which is fn(enthu,hrs of sleep the previous night,the guy who sits beside me).

My first point is the usage of power point presentation in the classes.It is not bad to use it to assist the teacher but it
certainly gets on my nerves when the teacher uses only ppt.The poor, old blackboard is relegated to the 2nd position.This is an explicit case of technology misuse or abuse.The primary drawback is that we dont get enough time to write down notes.The prof in most cases just reads out what is there on the slide.If by mistake the prof says "I shall give slides" thats it.It is assumed that we have the notes with us and so he can proceed at his will, oblivious to the fact that class notes are quite important.I have personally faced many problems in the FEW classes where i jot down notes.The teacher is the only one who is benefitted by the ppt.I have also heard of "computerised teachers" or "robotic teachers" or some crap like that where the talking is also done by the comp.It is absolute gibberish/nonsense.The age old method of using the blackboard and the dusty,white chalk is the best in my opinion.I might sound like an octagenarian or a primitive man who is against technology invasion but i do have a valid point here.I am not against ppt per se but i am pained because it is ruling the roost in every classroom these days.It is incumbent now to use ppt and hi tech gadgets at the cost of the blackboard even in kindergarten.I have been and will be a proponent of 'CHALK AND TALK' always.No qualms about it.We did not have these ppts in school and some of my best teachers have used the blackboard with far more superior effect and most of them will vouch for the fact that it cannot be replaced.

In my opinion 'chalk and talk', with usage of ppt to lay emphasis on the finer points or to depict complex diagrams,graphs etc would be the best way of teaching.Let not technology take away the joys of listening in the class,the screeching sound of the chalk on the board,the duster etc which are integral parts of the student life and let it be used in a better manner.My dear readers,if any of you wanna take up teaching as your profession please follow the age old teaching practice.This is my only request.

9 comments:

Vetty Max said...

Agree 100%...ppts suck. Actually I will also come up with a post about this sometime.

One more thing...Maths for sure cannot be taught from a ppt. Formulae, derivations, etc are surely understood better if done on the board.

Karthik/SK/wimpy/SKimpy said...

for "global" subjects, PPTs are fine (as long as the prof gives hte PPTs, which is generally the case).

but yeah i agree with baada that you need to use a chalk and blackboard to teach math, derivations level stuff, etc.

Sandeep Sundaram said...

ennna da after a long time a social topic ...
i totally agree with u da... this gadgets r every wer this days ... i cant understabd y ppl use presentation for silly thing in maths and cs...{cant understand really } it evn happens in my coll da..and im going 2 complain abt tht....!!!!
okie all and gud post da....

Mystic said...

Blackboards rock! Even if a class does prove to be boring, we still have a chance to pass notes wen the teacher turns to write[:P]

Labakku Das said...

I am happy that there is good support for blackboards... @asha-good one!

kiran said...

so is it that ppt's of mayuram that made u write this post..didnt know that they have such a profound effect on u ..good post da.send the link to mayuram:P may be we will be lucky then:D

Dainty Damsel said...

that was a good one rajeev
keep it up

Anonymous said...

..One of the points said was ppt's prevent u from taking notes..
Do u know?..One of the worst things a student does in a class is taking notes.Try stop taking them and concentrate on the ideas the prof. is indending to say..I beleive this would be more better...Concentrate only on IDEAS man do not be lost in details...rather details always follow...And "understanding ideas never require notes"..For ideas ppt's help(for speed).some profs do study them directly rather explaning thats a bad thing ofcourse.
Dont worry i am not ur prof,;)..Now stop thinking rajiv, who could be this..I am a Very old "DASH" freind of ur's..nd why i am i not saying my name?..because i have "DASH"..In case if ur able to figure out who i am...do contact me back, there are only 3 ways to figure me out,as i can guess.

Well the reason for above shit is, I was a "DASH?!#" who used to take notes, but i am much better now..With the concept of IDEAS better than DETAILS...this helps me never mug..no notes.. no lectureseither..Agree..?Well ENOUGH now stop thinking of the 3 ways man in case u r!
HAPPY HOLIDAYS MAN!

Labakku Das said...

dear anon
so many thanx for enlightening me abt ideas but i guess leaving ur name wud not do u any harm.If ur brave enuff to comment u shud b brave enuff 2 leave ur name...
and wrt dash has it got to do with seenu sir of sharma tut?? neways happy 2 know that ur studying well.keep it up