Sunday, September 04, 2005

PIECE AND SLICE

I love "chat".If the thing that strikes you on hearing that word is 'yahoo messenger' then good.I am a chatter-box and a 'mouse potato'{akin 2 couch potato!}If it reminds you of those unhygienic stalls doling out lip smacking fare then all the more better. But if you think 'chat' means licking{In hindi} then i am sorry.Not a day passed off without me indulging in chat,but that was in my good old school days in Hyd.Ok digress. I was reminded of an incident which took place long ago-2 yrs to be precise.The fact that it has been evoking wide guffaws ever since bears testimony to the timelessness of that!

I dont remember exactly when and where it happened,but this is a true story.I was with this group and we were newbies to Chennai.I had been to Chennai before but was confined to my relatives' places and did not roam around much so i was as good as a newbie,albeit with the knowledge of the local language.We decided to have chaat in some store{it was already 25 days without chat then}.My friends were apprehensive after seeing the shop and the uncouth surroundings but i always advocate this policy "dingier the better"!I have had some of the best food in joints which were much more smaller and unhygienic and came out unscathed,so i felt this wont do any harm and took the plunge.It was a small fast food joint and i thought of having some concrete food first and ordered "pease barota masala"-- note down the spelling.I thought it was "barota"-which is similar to a "paratha" with a side dish which had "peas" {or "mutter" in Hindi} with some masala would be the gravy.After the usual banter to kill the hunger our item arrived.I was shell shocked to say the least.It was like mini idly-hazaar "barotas" in a plate.I could not fathom that.Also there were no "peas" around.I called the waiter and asked him what it was and he said the same.Later i realized that it was "piece barota masala" wherein that barota was butchered to hazaar pieces,some reddish paste{that was masala for u} smeared on them and served.Phew! Needless to say i ate just 2-3 pieces and discarded it.Probably "pee"se barota masala would have been a better name.I just wanted to have some cool drink and escape as soon as possible when my friend told me to wait.He was already in splits seeing the food{that dawg was not hungry} and decided to order another dish just to have a good laugh.We ordered "pani puri" {it is one of my fav}. I was shocked again when i saw that!There was "puri" in it-once again smashed to a thousand pieces,akin to a glass window being smashed by a cricket ball and pieces strewn all over the place. OK there was "puri" but no "pani" in it.It was a concoction of smashed puri and "channa".It was baffling,i mean no water in pani puri!Did someone say water shortage in Chennai? Well i never knew that the situation was so grave.Huh! I was afraid even to order a cool drink.Probably he might have given us glass-which is a super cooled liquid in its liquid form and say cool drink!Or maybe smash it,which is his forte,powder it,put it in cool water and say "cool drink". My friend ,needless to say ,was having the time of his life while we were fuming.The only thing which was decent was the bill.I should have torn the bill to "pieces" after paying it.It was cheap and for once my policy of "dingier the better" failed and i had to bear the non stop rebuke of my friends as it was my suggestion to go to that place.Mea Culpa!

Fortunately i have never faced this "piece" thing again.Peace!That bad experience dissuaded me from going to such small joints,but only for a few months.The stomach ruled over the brain again in a few days and i was happily back to square one munching and downing 'pani puris' at the same rate and in equally uncouth,inadequately furnished joints .I have dined in many star restaurants but stuff from a push-cart vendor gives me the ultimate thrill even to this day.I also ended up puking and singing LM{scratch ur brains and find out whats that} many times,took a resolution- not to eat in those joints and invariably found myself downing junk the very next week!!And what will i do if i have a stomachache again-Well i dont have it now so deferred to another date!Till then enjoy ... Anyone willing to accompany this gourmet,gourmand,glutton and connoiseur???

6 comments:

Vetty Max said...

Dei this is precisely why there is a saying "Be a Roman in Rome".

Restrict chat eating to Hyd and have idly, dosa, kothu barotta in Chennai. :P

There used to be one awesome barotta place in Tarams...near the bus stand...not sure if its there now...you got one barotta for 2 bucks...and unlimited kurma...five barottas and you would be full.

Ya...it is all these cheap places that rock.

Sandeep Sundaram said...

@raj
dikawae math ja....
before u eat plz enquire abt it...!!!!
abbey i have never encountered barotta bfore..
pani puri in madras sucks da how canu think of eating pani purri ter...

Labakku Das said...

@priya:
decemeber mein zaroor jaayenge...
@baada:
have been follwing "Be a madrasi while in madras" for quite sometime after that da :P
@sandeep:
well barotta is a staple dish here... found in evry nook and corner

Dainty Damsel said...

WOW!!!watta post boy!!Slurp!!remainded me of panipuris :((
just love that :)
Why on Earth did u try ur hand on chaat in Chennai.Hope u have had enuf now.Well @ this rate why not we ppl collectively,side business kinda open a panipuri stall{Santra,u & me}..heheeh all vetti u c.Works out if we don't cram during exams;)
works out man take this word from me.njoy.No malice offended
keep posting :)

Dainty Damsel said...

me again
an addendum:
LM is may be Licentiate in Medicine or Lord Mayor as far as my knowledge goes..first one goes well with ur post
will accompany u dear but let ur pocket be heavy,u gotto squander money for us;)

Labakku Das said...

@vaish:
Coins r heavier than notes.So in order 2 make my pockets heavy i shall stuff it with coins while u can do have notes :P.... ya v shall raid all chat bhandars in hyd :)...